[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 released

Dan Tepper soundman at wintaper.com
Thu Feb 21 14:38:43 PST 2008

>>> Generally it's a bit too easy to move things accidentally

I made this exact same comment over a year ago. I suggested a "lock
position" at the time. Apparently Paul wrote this feature - but it never
made it into an official realease AFAIK.

Recently, I've been using Cakewalk Sonar 7 for my bigger projects. It
has this feature and it works great - no more accidental sliding. Saves
 a ton of time. You can still crop and fade - but not slide - a playlist.

The other showstopper for me with ardour is the GTK interface itself.
The fonts are hard to read. Edit boxes get stuck in edit mode. Buttons
sometimes don't work. None of these are problems in Ardour itself, but
they make the experience less than desirable. Frankly, the GUI in 0.99x
was a lot faster and more stable (and easier to read)

I still use ardour for my personal projects, but in order to be able to
offer my clients access to the latest stuff - esp VST plugins and USB
Surfaces - I had to move to a more mainstream platform for that part of
my work.

-dan