[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 released

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Feb 12 06:24:50 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:24:30AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

(I'll reply out of order - it should be clear why)

> also, fons, what version are you using, and have you read
> http://ardour.org/new_editing_model ?

2.1 from CCRMA is on all machines here - I try to use
binary installs here at work unless it's absolutely
necessary to do otherwise - and that seems to be the
case...

Given the changes documented in <new_editing_model>
I'll have to reset any opiniions formed and restart
from zero !

> what is "an edit" ?

In this context I should maybe have used another term.

The type of work I refer to is what you need to do e.g.
for classical music production: replace a few measures
or even notes from one take with another to remove a
musical glitch, unwanted noise, etc. Or just to splice
parts of a recording together. No-one is going to repeat
the previous 16 minutes of symphony moevement if something
goes wrong during recording - a few measures back is what
you get. With a bit of luck you can find an easy place to
splice, but without that bit it still has to be done.

So this is all about splicing things together in the
middle of the music, and it must be undetectable. Also
consider that you don't have cleanly separated notes or
beats on a single track, but almost always a mixed
signal including natural reverb. There can also be
level differences that have to be corrected.

The usual method is a fast crossfade (in the tape days
you would cut at different angles to set the length),
which you want to control in all aspects. For a tape
running at 15 or 30 ips (standard speeds for this work)
1 mm corresponds to about 2.5 or 1.25 ms, and that's
the sort of precision required.

Ciao,

--
FA