[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 released

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Feb 12 08:36:19 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 13:42 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> > You mean a modifier key to move locked regions, not always
> > requiring a modifier to move regions, I assume.
>
> I'd find both quite acceptable.

The second would be quite a hindrance for me and breaks common
expectations. The only problem there could be with a modifier
is that they all might be in use already. Haven't checked. If
one is free, I'm sure Paul can be convinced to add this feature.
Or to apply a patch. Maybe file it in mantis if it isn't solved
near term.

> There are 5 things you want to control:
>
> 1  the xover point (i.e. end of the first region),
> 2  the relative position of the second region w.r.t the first,
> 3  the type and lenght of the crossover,
> 4  the relative amplitude of the second part,
> 5  listening to the edit in a context of a few seconds.
>
> The way to use this would be to set initial values,
> probably visually or by using the 'scrub', test the
> edit (by listening to it) and then a loop of do { modify,
> listen } until OK. The loop should not require precise
> visual interaction - it would be pointless anyway at
> normal zoom levels - or better even no visual interaction
> at all, except maybe to select which parameter you want
> to 'nudge'. The nudging itself, or listening, should
> not require mouse pointing - either keyboard shortcuts
> mouse clicks, or mouse wheel.

How about:
Select 2 regions, bring up a window (or have a notebook tab)
with large sliders for all required parameters. Plus playback
controls.

Actually, I guess this would have to be part of the crossfade
editor.

> > Do you mean something like Sweep's Scrubby?
>
> Don't know that. What you can do with on an analog tape
> machine by rocking the reels manually. Like the varispeed
> 'shuttle' but not controlling speed but position. It's
> not so easy to implement well :-)

Sweep has scrubbing that is inspired by turntable scratching.
It can be used tape-style. But Sweep keeps all audio in memory.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/