[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 released

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Feb 11 06:02:13 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:51:55AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> Fons, for an amazingly smart guy you sometimes make astoundingly large
> mistakes.

They are part of a conscious effort to remain human :-) :-)
Seriously now, thanks for both the flowers and the cold
shower.

> Ardour's analysis support isn't driven by the conceptions of western
> pop, of even western music in general.

I do fully agree that these analysis methods can be used
outside the context of WPM. But I think it is a simple
fact that they _have_ been incorporated as a result of
pressure from that side because it represents 99% of
'the market'. Which will - but I don't want to present
this as a fact, but something I fear - also mean that
the way these things get incorporated, presented, and
controlled will not necessariy be the most general and
neutral one, but also be dominated by the requirements
from the same side.

> As the SAE example demonstrates, building an Ardour with an interface
> that has the elements you don't like remove is, especially for someone
> like yourself, child's play. set ARDOUR_SAE in your environment and run
> ardour. You will find a substantially slimmed down user interface (maybe
> more, maybe less than you expect). To see what is going is, grep for
> "Profile->get_sae" in the GUI source code.

With the binary 2.1 from CCRMA which is installed here
(at work) on all machines the result is that Ardour just
bails out when opening a session or creating a new one.

Will try later on a 2.3 but not on these machines.

> When the user community that wants a DAW with a user interface that
> makes composing in 4/4 not just optional but actually hard,

Not hard, not easy - anything musical is just outside the scope
of what I expect a DAW to do - I don't expect a composition tool.
Not for WPM, nor for anything else.

Ciao,

--
FA