[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 released

t_w_ at freenet.de t_w_ at freenet.de
Mon Feb 11 02:53:31 PST 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> What saddens me is that the new features make it
> plain clear what has been in the air for some time:
> that Ardour is moving away from being a DAW to being
> a WPMPW - a Western Pop Music Production Workstation.

I'm sure it will always be possible, easy even,  to produce
non-popular music with it. Even non western, allthough
some effort would be needed if you use MIDI.

> Features such as tempo analysis, editing while
> preserving beat alignment etc. are very centric to
> one particular type of music and make absolutely no
> sense outside that area of interest. Add things like
> time strectching or even just midi and the picture
> is complete.

Yes. That one particular type of music is everything
that is rhythm-centric.

> Of course this is 'market driven' - it follows 'the
> competion' and viewed in that context it is only to
> be expected.

Many users have been and are asking for this. Of course
there has always been people who would have prefered
to keep things audio only.

> But if you want a DAW that just does 'audio' processing
> - recording, editing and mixing - without in any way
> touching the 'musical' aspect, all these stuff *does*
> get in the way, even if only by complicating the user
> interface.

You will not see much of MIDI if you don't add
MIDI tracks/busses. Similar is true for onset analysis.

> What this means is that at some point I'll have to
> abandon Ardour and search for another solution. Or
> build one myself. And that makes me sad, because
> Ardour is a great piece of software.

We now know you are sad, but I wonder what
consequences that should have for the project?

--
Thorsten Wilms

Unbegrenzter Speicher, Top-Spamschutz, 120 SMS und eigene E-MailDomain inkl.
http://office.freenet.de/dienste/emailoffice/produktuebersicht/power/mail/index.html