[Ardour-Dev] Ardour GUI strings

Julien Goodwin ardour at studio442.com.au
Tue Apr 15 03:37:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:18:05PM +0100, Dan Weatherill arranged a set of bits into the following:
> > Hi Dan,
> > I think Piotr is talking about text strings only. I don't think that
> > following this or that guideliness
> > for this matter will make ardour look out of place on some DEs, but make it
> > look cleaner and more
> > consistent in all of them.
>
> Yes that is fair enough.
>

> > I also agree with him about some menus look a bit bloated with the repeated
> > words.
>
> To be honest in an ideal world I think there's a case for having more top
> level menus. For example, the transport pulldown menu has become absolutely
> huge. It's not a problem, but it sometimes makes it harder to find the exact
> item you're after.

I'd actually suggest that in some cases options should go into dialogs.

How's this for a hirachy:
* Session
	- As is, but add a properties option
		-- Initial properties could be the audio file format and
		timecode settings from the "Options" menu
* Transport
	- As is, but move "Options" to the top
* Edit
	- As is
* Select
	- As is
* Regions
	- As is
* View
	- As is
* Hardware - (what's now JACK)
	- Jack menu as a submenu
	- Options/Autoconnect
	- Options/Control Surfaces
	- Options/Metering
	- Options/(MTC|MMC)
* Windows
	- Remove "Preferences:
	- Remove those options now on other menus
	- Remove the "metering" submenu as it's a duplicate of entries
	  in "View"
	-- Add "Preferences" to the bottom
* Help
	- If the only option is "about" I'd say remove

Thanks,
Julien