[Ardour-Dev] Ardour GUI strings

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Apr 13 07:27:31 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 10:28 +0200, Piotr Zaryk wrote:
> I meant that Ardour uses GTK and GNOME GUI standards would be welcome.
> I think we
> shold set some rules how to design Ardour GUI. It is changing on every Ardour release.
>
> It's obvious because Ardour is still in development but I think some
> rules could prevent the mess in the interface and could simplify it.
> That, in fact will make writing Ardour documentation easier.

1) you can't change it anywhere except the source code, though what
    shows up in non-english locales obviously depends on the .po files
    as well. these "mistakes" happen because, necessarily, the entire
    set of strings appearing when showing a nested submenu are never
    defined on a set of adjacent lines of code (sometimes, they
    are not even in the same file).

2) ardour attempts to follow the GNOME HiG, except for places where
    the orientation of the HiG towards desktop/consumer applications
    negatively impacts usability for professional users.

3) i doubt if there will ever be any "rules" for the Ardour GUI beyond
    the HiG specs

--p