[Ardour-Dev] MTC bug: was - Re: The ignored bug...

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Mon Oct 8 04:28:50 PDT 2007

Quentin Harley wrote:
> To cause the segfault:
>
>    * open Ardour2
>    * Open a session
>    * make sure "use MMC" and "send MTC" is selected
>    * Start the transport: MTC sync is locked and working.
>    * Move any of the faders on the mixer: "cannot sent quarter frame"
>      messages appear
>    * Keep moving fader - Segfault

Just need a bit of background to try and figure this out.  Is there a
way the two midi messages (MTC and control surface) can interfere with
each other?  Which takes priority, and is it possible to set a priority?

My feeling is that the control signals interrupt the MTC somehow.  When
I move the fader, a control signal goes from my board to Ardour, and
ardour sends the control back for the moved and any linked channels.
The channels moved on the board then send confirmation back.  Quite a
bit of noise on Midi...  If MTC does not take some priority, the control
signals could swamp it.

I'd appreciate any help with this.  If I get a solution, I'll post the
proposed patch on the list.

Cheers
Quentin