[ardour-dev] Butler, Exporting, pauses

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Sun Jul 15 07:55:40 PDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Mark Jones <mdjones0978-ardour at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When exporting data from a 20-24 channel recording I see a fair amount of pausing in the progress.
>  I'm attributing this to Disk I/O that isn't keeping up with the mix and think that it might even
> have something to do with the Async I/O of the butler.  So far I haven't figured it all out, but I
> was going to ask if anyone thought I was barking up the right tree.

The butler doesn't do async I/O so at least that is the wrong tree.
But it would be nice to figure out why/where the pausing is occurring.

> What I really need to be able to do is Render 45 minutes worth of audio in about 5 minutes.
> The reason we are doing this is that we are trying to mix a live performance while it is being
> recorded/mixed.  To a large degree (with a fair number of hacks, I have it all working excepting
> rendering.  Without rendering, the rest is sort of pointless.  Looking for ideas.....

So the real question is, why not turn on software monitoring for all
tracks, do the jamin routing with an insert in the master bus, and
route the output of the master bus to a new recording stereo track.
Then everything is done in realtime as you do it.  No render step
necessary, just combine the audio files from that final track with
another tool, and export the TOC file only with ardour (no audio).

jlc