[ardour-dev] Compiling on Etch (was Hi everybody)

John Rigg ardev at sound-man.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 15:34:20 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:29:10AM -0600, DuWayne Holsbeck wrote:
> Just got a new Core2 Duo box, and I figured I would try Ardour2 on it.
>
> I got everything loaded (debian etch), got the SVN to compile, but when
> I try to run Ardour2 it seg faults as soon as it tries to load the sse
> optimizations. I noticed a warning about binutils, and the version on
> the box is 2.17-3, which supposedly has issues with linking Ardour. But
> it did build.

Compiling Ardour2 on Etch isn't straightforward. Etch uses libgtk2.0-0
version 2.8 (2.10 is needed) and libcairo2-0 version 1.2.4 (1.2.6 is
needed for GTK 2.10). There are packages in Experimental with recent enough
version numbers, but Experimental currently uses a different libc6 version
so it's possibly a good idea to compile Cairo and GTK2 from source.
(I also had a look in Ubuntu 2.10 archives in case they were more
recent, but it looks like a similar situation).
The other dependencies for GTK2 are up to date enough in Etch,
according to the info on gtk.org.

However I don't know if gcc-4.1 in Etch is recent enough - I notice
there's a report on ardour.org forum about a compiler crash with Ardour2
beta10 on Arch Linux but there aren't any compiler details. Arch
currently appears to use a slightly more recent version of gcc 4.1 than
Etch, which is a little worrying.

I'll report back when I get time to try it on my own system (hopefully
in the next few days).

John