[ardour-dev] Ardour 2 Beta 9 First Impressions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 3 06:03:59 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 23:08 -0500, Dan Tepper wrote:
> 2. "Destroy" is missing from the region context menu. There is still a
> "Remove" option, however this does not delete the underlying wave file
> like "Destroy" used to. Again, there is no way to delete capture files.

I did some work to resuscitate this operation and after some discussion
we concluded that it made no sense any more. There is a limited set of
circumstances in which "Destroy" would be capable of actually removing
the underlying wave file, but those circumstances are the same as the
ones in which Cleanup (now operational again) would also remove it.
Rather than offering two ways to do the same thing (something Ardour
does a bit too often), we removed Destroy and retained the more general
Cleanup.

> 5. When opening projects created with Ardour .99.3, external stereo wav
> files play back in mono - even though they look like stereo tracks.
> Creating a new track and importing the exact same audio file solves the
> problem. Removing and re-embedding also works.
>
> 6. If an audio file cannot be found, the Ardour2 aborts and does not
> load the session. .99.3 would open the session with whatever.

will fix.

> 7. Since session files are not backward compatible, some warning that a
> file is about to be updated (or even a confirmation prompt) would be
> nice. Perhaps save the new session to a different file or use "ardour2"
> as the file extension.

i plan to add saving the old file to .ardour1 before beta10 is released
(today, i hope).

thanks for your feedback, please stay in the loop.

--p