[ardour-dev] multiple displays on multiple machines

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 14:24:18 PST 2007

I ache for more display area. I burn for it. I tend to run with 1 master
machine running ardour, using "x2x" to have one master keyboard - and
rosegarden --display laptaht:0.0; somethingelse --display mac:0.0 - 3
machines - and I still don't have enough screen area....

Then I started mixing in ardour a lot, and I wanted to see both the mixer
and track windows at the same time on more than one machine. After some
digging into gdk (the documentation is wrong for multiple displays under X -
there is no gdk_display_new() call) I finally hit on a method for doing some
of it.

The attached is totally just proof of concept code against surfaces head,
(the global secondary display thing would have to go elsewhere into a object
specific display list) and substitute the name of your machine instead of
"laptaht". The "locations window" *just worked* over to the other
display....

Unfortunately the the mixer window setup this way segfaults ardour, I assume
that there is some heavy optimizations in there for fast updates and the
like.... and maybe I was just dumb while doing the clock window, 'cause it
showed up locally.

Anyway, it was a late night hack. It was kind of neat to be able to hit
space on one keyboard while entering in a new marker on the other. Maybe
someone else could take the concept further. (needed to get -sync working)

unrelated issue: I happened to have a window manager running in the
foreground and saw this go by:

Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with
a timestamp of 0 for 0x3c00003 (ardour: lo)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0
timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.

--
Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge