[Ardour-Dev] Overlaps & crossfades

Ben Loftis ben at glw.com
Sun Dec 16 08:04:01 PST 2007

Hi John,

The crossfade value is multiplied with all the other gain scaling, of course.  It must do this to avoid creating a discontinuity at the ends of the crossfade, because those values are applied outside the crossfade.  There are many level controls in Ardour, each performing a different task.  During a crossfade, the total volume level for a sample might depend on:

Crossfade curve
*
Fade in/out
*
Region gain
*
Region gain automation

And of course the level is further modified by fader automation, plugins, and probably others as well.  Each of these values is normally in the range 0..1 or a little higher.  In the simplest case, every value is at its default level of 1.0 and so all these multiplications have no effect on the final outcome.

Of course there could be a bug that precludes this from working as expected.  Is there a specific problem you are having?

-Ben