[Ardour-Dev] Set Selected Regions

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Aug 26 12:51:40 PDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 09:29:15PM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 02:38:02PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>

> > notice the word *state*. precisely what constitutes "state" is the heart
> > of this argument. some people would argue that the only "state" that
> > matters has to do with the existence and arrangement of material along
> > the timeline. you apparently feel otherwise.
>
> I'd agree with Paul here. Making a selection has no effect by itself,
> it's more like setting a parameter for a future operation, similar to
> e.g. filling in a filename in a load/save dialog. If you cancel the
> dialog nothing has happened. I wouldn't want an undo list to be
> cluttered with that...

I don't think this should be about what constitutes state or what has an
"effect". It should be about effieciency in use.

Things that can be restored manualy in shortest time and without much
thinking are rather not worthy of undo-ability. At least if one feels a need
to keep the undo stack short.

In GIMP, buidling selections can take a long time and they are cleared with
a single click. How very fortunate taht selection operations are undoable
there.

With Ardour, I havn't build any even remotely complex selection yet.
I'm rather sure to have sessions of extreme region count - more "traditional"
usage even lessens the likeliness of a situation where a complex selection
might be required.

Still, I would utter a curse on accidently clicking on empty canvas after
selecting a block of regions :)

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software: