[Ardour-Dev] Set Selected Regions

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Aug 26 12:29:15 PDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 02:38:02PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> notice the word *state*. precisely what constitutes "state" is the heart
> of this argument. some people would argue that the only "state" that
> matters has to do with the existence and arrangement of material along
> the timeline. you apparently feel otherwise.

I'd agree with Paul here. Making a selection has no effect by itself,
it's more like setting a parameter for a future operation, similar to
e.g. filling in a filename in a load/save dialog. If you cancel the
dialog nothing has happened. I wouldn't want an undo list to be
cluttered with that...

Don't know if Ardour is organised this way, but it would be perfectly
possible for selections to exist only in the GUI, and be given to the
'model' as parameters only if and when a command is issued. If that's
the case bringing them into the undo system could be quite hard.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !