[ardour-dev] Translation character problem

Chris Ross chris at tebibyte.org
Thu Nov 30 06:38:15 PST 2006

Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Sebastian Arnold wrote:
> i am currently working on a German translation for Ardour. Is it the
> right way to save the .po file as UTF-8 ? Ardour does not display the
> umlauts (ä, ö, ü) I am using. Do I have to code them in a special way?

I remember having this issue (with the Brazilian Portuguese translation)
because I work on SuSE which defaults to ISO 8859-15 IIRC. The answer was
indeed to save in Unicode. A quick check now shows everyone else did the
same...

file gtk_ardour/po/*.po
gtk_ardour/po/de_DE.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/el_GR.po: UTF-8 Unicode PO (gettext message catalogue) text
gtk_ardour/po/es_ES.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/fr_FR.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/it_IT.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/pt_BR.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/pt_PT.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/ru_RU.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text
gtk_ardour/po/sv_SE.po: UTF-8 Unicode English text

I'm curious as to why file(1) knows the Greek is PO but not the others. I
shall go look :)

Regards,
Chris R.