[ardour-dev] Timecode computation error

Chris Goddard chris at oofus.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 05:40:13 PST 2006

Hi

As per Paul's request here is a bit more info relating to Mantis bug 1329.

It seems that when setting different frame rates in the 'Options' -> 'Timecode
fps' menu, the correct frame count is not always set.

When selecting 25fps I would expect the timecode to count 25 frames per
second, i.e. 0 -> 24.

If I select 24.976 I would expect the frame count to be 25 frames per second
again (0 -> 24) but just running slightly slower.

Here is a full list of my findings

Frame rate	Actual count	Expected count
23.976		23		24		Incorrect
24		24		24		Correct
24.976		24		25		Incorrect
25		25		25		Correct
29.97 (d or nd)	30		30		Correct
30 (d or nd)	30		30		Correct
59.94		59		60		Incorrect
60		60		60		Correct

Hope this makes sense.

As a side note, not sure it's really necessary to include 29.97ndf and 30df
options. These are, strictly speaking, not valid options and lead
non-realtime timecode/frame counts.

--
Cheers

Chris