[ardour-dev] Building ardour for a VIA Samuel 2

Andre Majorel amajorel at teaser.fr
Tue May 9 17:04:07 PDT 2006

On 2006-05-09 16:26 -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:50:38PM +0100, Steve Fosdick wrote:
> > If I try to build ardour2 on a system which uses the VIA Samuel 2,
> > scons detects this as a varient of i686 but then warns that it does
> > not support SSE instructions.
> >
> > Even if I hack the SConstruct file and comment out the line that sets
> > the flag BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS it still generates an executable that
> > crashes with an 'illegal instruction' signal.
>
> This is actually a gcc bug.  It assumes that all i686 processors support
> the optional CMOV instruction.  See here (just a description of the
> problem):
>
> http://www.astertest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124&sid=de9d9b2bf857e08b21b37326a80bee61
>
> You need to compile with -march i586 to force gcc to do the right thing
> there.  But that is, most likely, the source of your "illegal
> instruction" problem.

It's been said that compiling for 486 gives better results due to
instruction scheduling similarities. Don't know whether this is
true for all versions of the C3.

> <plug>
> Incidentally, I work for a mini-ITX company, and that is probably the
> only reason I know this, since I don't own a board with a Samuel 2:
> http://www.logicsupply.com
> </plug>

Nice. Love the huge heat sink on the EN12000EG. I have two fanless
800 MHz Ezra C3 at home.

--
André Majorel <amajorel at teaser.fr>
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/