[ardour-dev] Where to go digital

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Mar 6 08:19:40 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:53:31PM +0000, Iain Kennedy wrote:
> Due to the often raucous nature of our studio, we currently use channel
> inserts with limiters on the microphones. If we were to buy some
> microphone preamps (such as RME's Octamic D), we'd like to use the digital
> connection to get the audio into Ardour via the Multiface, and still keep
> as many analogue connections spare as possible for live instruments etc.
>
> Would using a LADSPA digital limiter give us similar control over the
> signal, or are we likely to run into the situation where we have a clipped
> signal entering into the system? My knowledge of audio falls somewhat
> short of the mark when it comes to the analogue to digital domain.

In my estimation, the issue is peak level vs. noise floor.

If you comp/limit in the digital domain, you have to turn the input
gain on your mic pre's down far enough that they *never ever* peak the
ADCs.  This will mean that your average level will be, digitally, much
lower, and therefore closer to the noise floor (of those same ADC's).

If that leaves you with enough headroom, go for it.  I, personally, am
fond of mic pre's with analog limiters; you might want to look into the
DBX ProVocal, though I've heard reports it's a bastard to work with
(except, perhaps, in precisely your sort of application).  I don't have
them myself; I'm looking into them before buying.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?