[ardour-dev] Where to go digital

Iain Kennedy iain at psand.net
Mon Mar 6 04:53:31 PST 2006

Hi,

We use ardour for a mobile internet radio station and are gradually
growing our studio. We have been getting by with a small mixing desk and
an RME multiface, but as we are doing stuff with multiple microphones and
live bands, we need a more capable mixer with sub-mixes etc to improve our
monitoring situation.

We have two basic choices of where to spend our budget

a) A nice analogue mixer with subgroups
b) Using ardour (and a MIDI worksurface) to do all the mixing/submixing
etc.

Due to the often raucous nature of our studio, we currently use channel
inserts with limiters on the microphones. If we were to buy some
microphone preamps (such as RME's Octamic D), we'd like to use the digital
connection to get the audio into Ardour via the Multiface, and still keep
as many analogue connections spare as possible for live instruments etc.

Would using a LADSPA digital limiter give us similar control over the
signal, or are we likely to run into the situation where we have a clipped
signal entering into the system? My knowledge of audio falls somewhat
short of the mark when it comes to the analogue to digital domain.

We've done a reasonable amount of investigation up to this point, but it's
fairly crucial that we make the right decision, so any help you have to
offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Iain