[ardour-dev] MultiTrack recording

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Mar 5 16:08:46 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 23:27 +0000, Chris Goddard wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I hope this is the right place for this message. If not please advise.
>
> I'm currently working for a mobile recording company. We are planning a new
> truck and have got to the 'what do we record onto' question. On our other
> trucks, and our de-rig (anything you carry into a venue, record, and carry
> out again !) systems we have predominantly used Pyramix as it has proved very
> robust for recording up to 64 tracks for extended periods of time. This new
> truck is to be a more budget conscious build so we are looking at ways of
> saving costs, Pyramix can prove rather pricey !
>
> I have been following Ardour for quite some time and like very much the
> direction it is taking. With this in mind I am quite keen to put together a
> test system that uses Ardour as a multitrack recorder. The plan would be a
> capable PC with an RME MADI card (or two if possible).

    Ardour should be able to handle the track count and it appears that
the RME MADI card is supported via ALSA.  The only problem I can foresee
is the possibility that your system can't handle that many tracks.  I'm
guessing that the main things you'll need to worry about are CPU
performance, memory, FSB speed, and I/O throughput.  I'd recommend
getting a system with AMD processor(s).

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744