[ardour-dev] A couple of ideas

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jun 23 23:07:24 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have been enjoying using Ardour-0.99.2 for the past few weeks. It is
really good to see how far along it has come over the past two years.
Particularly useful are the e and p hotkeys. I will even go so far as to
say that the stability and accessibility makes editing and song creation
fun. I have been working with Linux Audio apps for almost 7 years and I
haven't been able to get that feeling very often. The tortoise is
catching up.

I have had a couple of ideas for usability improvements/features which I
want to query.

--------------
1: Region trim: Start -> Playhead, Playhead -> End.

I would find this useful when trimming regions with difficult to
pinpoint starts/ends.

2: Zoom areas.  I often find myself zooming into 1:1 and then having to
click my way back to a more sane zoom level. If I could define a
specific zoom area for example between 2 markers or even better from a
select box, then I could just use that and save a few clicks. Editing
could get even faster if I could chose which zoom area was the default
ex. "shift + z + select" and assign a hotkey to it ex. "shift + z".

3: Automation gain nodes stick with region. It's heartwrenching to
realise that automation gain settings I spent a fair amount of time on
are completely screwed when I move a region even just a little.
Especially if it I realise 50 edits after the fact...

If you think these would be useful I will post them into Mantis.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

"Anything your mind can see you can manifest physically, then it will
become reality" - Macka B