[ardour-dev] shots of qjackctl with ardour/jamin at work together...

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 11:57:24 PST 2006

On 1/28/06, Peter Baumgartner <peter at bssmusic.de> wrote:
> Reuben Martin schrieb:
> >
> >I usually usually find that I like the sound better when I used
> >multiple instances of Jamin as inserts for sub-busses. For instance I
> >will send the instruments mixdown to one bus, and the vocal mixdown to
> >another bus, both with different instaces of jamin as inserts and then
> >route those to the master bus. I find I can maintain better separation
> >of the vocals from the rest of the mix (and get a better overall
> >sound) when I master groups separately. Sometimes I use other
> >sub-busses for drums, fx, or whatever with jamin as an insert. I'll
> >usually run the master-bus output through jamin again for some
> >additional slight adjustments.
> >
> >I usually don't start using jamin though till I have the sub groups
> >mixed the way I like, so I use Jamin about half way though the mixing
> >process. Becareful though, you can over-do it really quick this way if
> >you are too agressive.
> >
> >-Reuben
> >

> Hm, if I understand right, what You have in mind is creating rooms by
> adding the same virtual room over and over and placing the sources in
> differtent places of that room? That´s the way I have done it for
> several years in Cubase or Nuendo. Certainly a good idea, but that part
> is definitely not mastering, it´s part of the mix itself.

It has nothing to do with rooms and Jamin has nothing to do with
reverb. I may process sub-groups with differnt instances of Jamin
because I may want different stereo width, EQ or compression levels,
etc. for those sub-mixes.

> The problem might be, that the ladspa plugins have not yet reached the
> sound quality and usability of a Trueverb or TC-verb, where you can
> easily create a room with one wooden- and one brickwall with a carpet on
> the floor instead of guessing some kind of reverb-room-don´t-know with
> one or two sliders.

I find freeverb_v3 to be more than sufficient. I generally don't care
about the "room type" with reverb, I generally only care about the
stereo field, decay, room-size, and dry/wet levels. I want a
transparent reverb. If I want to model a certain room I would use
jack-convolve for that. Or better yet, just record in that type of
space to begin with. ;)