[ardour-dev] shots of qjackctl with ardour/jamin at work together...

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 08:45:56 PST 2006

On 1/27/06, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:
> On the other hand, Jan was suggesting that this way you can do mastering
> _while_ you are mixing. I never do that, so I don't have experience with
> that sort of setups. I first mix each song to float wav's and create a new
> session with one stereo track per song, "embed" the wavs (import without
> copying the huge files in vain) and create the jamin insert in that session.

I usually usually find that I like the sound better when I used
multiple instances of Jamin as inserts for sub-busses. For instance I
will send the instruments mixdown to one bus, and the vocal mixdown to
another bus, both with different instaces of jamin as inserts and then
route those to the master bus. I find I can maintain better separation
of the vocals from the rest of the mix (and get a better overall
sound) when I master groups separately. Sometimes I use other
sub-busses for drums, fx, or whatever with jamin as an insert. I'll
usually run the master-bus output through jamin again for some
additional slight adjustments.

I usually don't start using jamin though till I have the sub groups
mixed the way I like, so I use Jamin about half way though the mixing
process. Becareful though, you can over-do it really quick this way if
you are too agressive.

-Reuben