[ardour-dev] Some summers are better than others?

Matt Walker ard.walker at divasive.com
Sun Jan 15 10:44:48 PST 2006

Now that the ardour2 storm has died down a bit, I thought I'd throw this
out...

I was surfing for converter shoot-out type articles, and found this:

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/contents/soft1.html

To summarize (no pun intended), Kip McGinnis of Bardstown Audio is a dealer
for and has tried out all of the coolest toys while producing high end sample
collections of acoustic instruments. One thing in particular that caught my
eye is his claim that the Magix (Samplitude and Sequoia) buss summing sounds
considerably better than PT, and blows most everyone else away. Sadly, Ardour
wasn't included in his survey.

My background gives me just enough DSP knowledge to be dangerous, so I'm
wondering what's going on here. Has anyone heard of this? Are there many
algorithms that can be tweeked in different ways? Are these Magix guys
geniuses? Or is this like Duracell Vs. Energizer in Eric Johnson's guitar
pedals?

Any opinions?