[ardour-dev] Live Mixdown

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 12 06:07:20 PST 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Urbansound wrote:

> Long cables = bad.  Short cables = good.
Depends on the type of cables used. Using cables you have a certain
bandwidth you can send over it as long the cable is able to transmit the
signal through it will be near lossless. And I'm not talking about tricks
with changing Ohm values. But this should be an off list discussion not
related to Ardour.

> FreeNX looks good too.  Willl look on them more tomorrow but I have to say
> VNC has always been slow and I never bothered to ask why.  It's nice to see
> an alternative.
>
> Thanks Stefan, for the reference.

If you can't get it to work be welcome to send a mail.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Paul Davis wrote:
> I repeat, and will keep repeating, forget VNC, just use X the way it was
> intended to be used.

So the what if scenario. You are onstage. The crowd goes wild (ofcourse
not because you are on stage ;) And some guy cuts the network cable,
I have seen worse things, a gothic girl knitting with a XLR cable for
example. At such times you are happy the application runs on a
'independant' PC on the other end of the line, still having a Display.

Or is it possible to run Ardour in daemon mode like Jack is?

Stefan de Konink