[ardour-dev] ultra-preliminary alpha ardour2 tarball release available

Benoit St-Andre ben at benoitst-andre.net
Wed Jan 11 11:18:45 PST 2006

Hi everyone

Here are my few testing results for ardour 2.0alpha1

My system is a Mandriva 2006.0 (with jack-3.1.1-2mdk)

(ardour built using 1.0.2 with libardour 1.0.0 and GCC version 4.0.1 (4.0.1-5mdk
for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0))

Le mar, jan 10, 2006 at 11:55:14 -0500, Paul Davis a écrit:
> The following release is available:
>
>         http://ardour.org/releases/ardour-2.0alpha1.tar.bz2
>

>         1) identify problems with the release tarball
>               - can you build it?

Yes.

>               - can you install the program?

Yes. (have to install intltool like already reported).

>               - can you run the program?

Yes. Run meaning

- I can start it.
- I can create new sessions, tracks.

but

many basic things make ardour crash. Detailed below.

>         2) identify basic problems with Ardour 2.0
>
>               - what things are just totally non-functional
>               - what things are broken to the extent that they
>                  are useless

- Opening existing ardour sessions that have plugins or automation
  automatically crashes ardour.
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0xb3f04918 ***
I can open simple sessions, with no fuss, like a couple of tracks.

- Choosing "Jack" to sync with Jack makes Ardour crash. Message:
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x08f2fdb0 ***
(in fact, every crash shows this message)

-The "connections" window is not working (I suppose it's replacing the
Track/bus inspector ?). It only shows a checkmark, what is it supposed to
do ?

- Trying to edit a connection for a track is ok, except if you click on
  the tabs if there are any (I'm using Hydrogen for example), I has made
Ardour crash a couple of times. Other times, a weird behaviour is that
clicking on a tab (trying to choose inputs for a track for example)
inserts in the In1 section the first available connection that is shown
behind the tab. Even if "auto input" is not selected.

- Very weird thing. When I try to rename a track directly in the editor
  view, I can't use the "d" key (trying to rename Audio 2 as "drums" for
example). If I use the mixer windows, right clicking to rename, I can do
it.

- It's not a bug, I'm able to record stuff from hydrogen's output through
  jack. But since I cannot make ardour sync with jack, it's not very
practical :-)

>         3) identify areas for improvement
>
>                - we've already made a number of changes to
>                  the GUI to try to make Ardour easier for
>                  existing and new users. Some of them
>                  are probably wrong, incomplete or
>                  require subtle tweaks.

Part of what is said behind is improvement/buggy stuff.

Hope it helps, just tell me if some info is missing.

PS: I've searched for a couple of minutes to find why my hard drive
was full, and discovered that ardour core dumps are very big, and take a
lot of disk space. That may be common knowledge, but still, it is userful
to know :-)
--
Benoit St-André
ben at benoitst-andre.net