[ardour-dev] Live Mixdown

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at esitcom.org
Wed Jan 11 05:42:37 PST 2006

Urbansound wrote:
> My desire is to consider Ardour in a live, 32 channel, audio control system
> in a small entertainment house, extending real inputs as low impedance XLR
> type microphone inputs and high impedance instrument inputs.  The output
> side would be 4 channels out to discrete monitor channels and 3 channels
> main output to main amp, (main = Left/Right, plus sub-woofer).

that's what I'm using it for (live events in a conference room)

> (1) There are several XLR multi-channel vendors, but I wonder even if I find
> Linux drivers for these input cards, would "Jack" still be able to carry
> them to Ardour, (a question for Jack, I know),  if others may have
> experience here?  And same of course for output modules to main and support
> amplifiers. ?

you have a choice between multiple M-audio Delta 1010 (up to 4 cards, so
that's 32 inputs and 32 outputs) or an RME with the appropriate AD/DA
converters

the solution with the M-audio is much cheaper though

> (2) Is there anyone using Ardour in such a live setting or even studio, as
> yet.?

yes, me :D

> (3) If so, can a reference be made that we might communicate by email with
> someone using the system at these levels presently? Ardour appears to be
> approaching some nicely stable levels of operation, according to list
> conversations.  As such, if we can iron out a reliable application, a
> significant example of Ardour would emerge and I would tend to contribute
> help in the docs and list responses long term, providing both live and post
> operating feed on the web, that others could investigate, citing Ardour as
> the heart of the system.

I have a test ardour at home, hasn't crashed in 1+ month, 24/7

> Thank you in advance.  Any further list submissions, I will keep short.

you're welcome

Raphaël