[ardour-dev] ultra-preliminary alpha ardour2 tarball release available

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:38:19 PST 2006

On 1/10/06, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> The following release is available:
>
>         http://ardour.org/releases/ardour-2.0alpha1.tar.bz2
>

> This is an ultra-experimental release, aimed at pulling in a few more
> users who don't want to deal with the CVS snapshot releases.
>
> THE PURPOSE OF THIS RELEASE
>
> Ardour 2.0 is not yet ready for release. But it does run and does a very
> significant majority of what Ardour 0.99 can do. All the patches made to
> 0.99 for the upcoming 0.99.1 release have been added to the ardour 2.0
> source tree.
>
> Your help is needed to
>
>         1) identify problems with the release tarball
>               - can you build it?
>               - can you install the program?
>               - can you run the program?
>
>         2) identify basic problems with Ardour 2.0
>
>               - what things are just totally non-functional
>               - what things are broken to the extent that they
>                  are useless
>
>         3) identify areas for improvement
>
>                - we've already made a number of changes to
>                  the GUI to try to make Ardour easier for
>                  existing and new users. Some of them
>                  are probably wrong, incomplete or
>                  require subtle tweaks.
>
> Please do NOT file mantis reports on this tarball. Instead, file useful,
> cogent reports to this mailing list (ardour-dev at lists.ardour.org) once
> you have had some reasonable level of experience with it. Please make
> them short: most of the issues are probably known to us, but require
> cataloguing and sorting. Your pithy, insightful and accurate reports
> will help a lot with this process. Try to avoid issues that also exist
> in ardour 0.99, because we have reports on most of them in mantis
> already.
>
> Some people have already used ardour 2.0 from CVS for test sessions,
> with good success. It seems slightly buggier than 0.99 at this point,
> but the bugs are in the GUI, rather than the backend.
>
> Now that we have the tarball-release infrastructure in place, we will
> release more of these alpha-tarballs on a regular basis as substantial
> work gets done with ardour2. Announcements will be made here.
>
> thanks,
> --p

Hi Paul,
   I'm hanging around in teh living room tonight and saw your note so
I tried building it. The build went cleanly, as far as I can tell. The
install failed, apparently:

mark at dragonfly ~/CODE/ardour-2.0alpha1 $ scons install
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for C header file alsa/asoundlib.h... yes
Congratulations, you have a functioning C++ compiler.
Host is little endian
Checking for internationalization support ...
Checking for C header file libintl.h... yes
Checking for C header file
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers/CoreAudio.h...
no
Checking for C function posix_memalign()... yes
Checking for C function getmntent()... yes
Checking for jack_client_open()...ok
Checking for jack_recompute_total_latencies()...ok
Checking for C header file wordexp.h... yes
Checking for C header file sys/vfs.h... yes
Checking for C header file
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework/Headers/CoreMIDI.h... no
Checking for C header file
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Headers/ExtendedAudioFile.h...
no
Generating POTFILES.in in gtk_ardour/po
Updating pot file:
intltool-update -p -g=gtk_ardour
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
Install file: "ardour_system.rc" as "//etc/ardour/ardour_system.rc"
scons: *** [//etc/ardour/ardour_system.rc] Exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Taskmaster.py", line 101, in execute
    self.targets[0].build()
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Node/__init__.py", line 201, in build
    apply(executor, (self, errfunc), kw)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Executor.py", line 115, in __call__
    apply(action, (self.targets, self.sources, env, errfunc), kw)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Action.py", line 243, in __call__
    stat = self.execute(target, source, env)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Action.py", line 512, in execute
    return self.execfunction(target=target, source=rsources, env=env)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 82, in installFunc
    return install(target[0].path, source[0].path, env)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Defaults.py", line 219, in copyFunc
    shutil.copy2(source, dest)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/shutil.py", line 92, in copy2
    copyfile(src, dst)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/shutil.py", line 48, in copyfile
    fdst = open(dst, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '//etc/ardour/ardour_system.rc'
mark at dragonfly ~/CODE/ardour-2.0alpha1 $

I doubt it's serious and I'll look for a reply tomorrow and try again.

Cheers,
Mark