[ardour-dev] File Size Limit

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Feb 27 19:27:23 PST 2006

On 2/27/06, Iain Kennedy <iain at psand.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently recorded a live event. After about 2 hours 40 mins, the (single
> stereo track at 48000) recording stopped as I'd reached the linux file size
> limit.

Just to be clear, you reached the WAV file size limit, not the linux
file size limit.
And that seems a little short to be reaching that too... i would
expect 3 hours 6 minutes at 48k.
What is the file size of those wav files?

> I immediately saved the session. When I load up the session, it fails to
> load the left and right track WAV files with the following errors:
>
> [ERROR]: FileSource: cannot seek to end of file
> [ERROR]: FileSource: cannot locate chunks in /home/.../Audio 1-1%L.wav
> [ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file "Audio 1-1%L.wav" (System Error)
> [ERROR]: Found a sound file that cannot be used by Ardour. See the
> programmers.
> [ERROR]: Session: cannot create Source from XML description.
> [ERROR]: Above repeated for R channel
>
> Ideally, I'd like to crop the audio files to just short of the file size
> limit and then master the session down. Is there anything I should bear in
> mind when doing this (like also cropping portions of the peak files,
> altering any session configuration data), as I don't want to lose the 2.5
> hours that I did record.

If you can load these files into another tool (you might need to use
open as raw, the data is 32bit floats) you should be able to fix them.
 Ideally you would just rewrite the headers, but i'm not sure about
the best way for you to do it.  Don't worry about the peakfiles, just
remove them and they will be regenerated.

If you need some more help fixing the files let us know... your data
will not be lost!

jlc