[ardour-dev] File Size Limit

Iain Kennedy iain at psand.net
Mon Feb 27 14:47:55 PST 2006

Hi,

I recently recorded a live event. After about 2 hours 40 mins, the (single
stereo track at 48000) recording stopped as I'd reached the linux file size
limit.

I immediately saved the session. When I load up the session, it fails to
load the left and right track WAV files with the following errors:

[ERROR]: FileSource: cannot seek to end of file
[ERROR]: FileSource: cannot locate chunks in /home/.../Audio 1-1%L.wav
[ERROR]: SndFileSource: cannot open file "Audio 1-1%L.wav" (System Error)
[ERROR]: Found a sound file that cannot be used by Ardour. See the
programmers.
[ERROR]: Session: cannot create Source from XML description.
[ERROR]: Above repeated for R channel

Ideally, I'd like to crop the audio files to just short of the file size
limit and then master the session down. Is there anything I should bear in
mind when doing this (like also cropping portions of the peak files,
altering any session configuration data), as I don't want to lose the 2.5
hours that I did record.

I have a tar ball of the original session, so I'm not quite as worried as
I was!

Iain