[ardour-dev] problems with SSE code for x86_64

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 8 14:21:11 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:37:25PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> > under the GPL license, since all code shipped with ardour will have to
> > be compatible with this dual license scheme. This will hinder ardour
> > making use of powerful code already available under the GPL.
>
> read up on mySQL. dual licensing does not have this effect. it might
> have consequences for the *recipient* of the non-GPL'ed license, it has
> no consequences for those who continue to use the software under the
> terms of the GPL.

I don't believe you two are having the same conversation.  If you
include other people's GPL'd code into Ardour, you do not then *have*
the right to make that code available to others under a license other
than the GPL, which is what he was talking about.

> It is going to take a lot of will to avoid being utterly and deeply rude
> to you.

Aw, g'head: it'll be fun to watch.  :-)

> the future we may offer dual licensing to some organizations that are
> willing to pay a lot of money for the priviledge of escaping their GPL
> obligations *and* are willing to face the consequences that result with
> respect to third party GPL'ed libraries.

Ok; that's what he was talking about, and clearly (not that this is any
surprise to *me*, Paul), you're already on that horse.

> onlookers and certainly not end users? Bothered by that? Go ahead and
> fork. I'm sure there are hundreds of developers who join your effort.

Hee.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?