[ardour-dev] mac osx universal binaries compilaton

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Sat Dec 30 16:26:56 PST 2006

On 12/30/06, Pau Arumi <parumi at iua.upf.edu> wrote:

> i see that you do put together binaries from lib_powerpc/ and lib_i386/
> with lipo. but i can't find how binaries get produced there.
> i assume you are using darwinports libraries. is it possible to build two
> different versions of each library? (and does g++ allow crosscompiling,
> after all?)

It is theoretically possible to build all the dependent libraries
twice, cross compiling one time, but usually we've been too lazy to
set all that up.  I/we have both ppc and intel macs and do darwinports
(plus a few extraneous dependencies by hand) on each.  Then running
the new script finds the dependent libs and copies them in place for
later lipo'ing as you saw.  It is a bit crude, but it works.

As for your testing discussion, I don't really see a need to do the
whole app bundle thing for that.  Automated testing for an app like
ardour seems a bit ambitious, there are *so* many options and things
that could be done, and missed.  I know that although potentially
valuable, the core developers aren't likely to have time to help much
with that.  But willing contributors like yourself are welcome to give
it a shot!

> btw, in clam instead of having a separate script we are writing a project-
> independent "dmg sconstools" for better integration with scons. we'll
> report back when it is more mature.

Not a bad idea.  The app_build.rb was really mostly an exercise in Ruby.

jlc