[ardour-dev] mac osx universal binaries compilaton

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Sat Dec 30 09:18:12 PST 2006

hi jesse, taybin and all
i've been looking to your ruby script: tools/osx_packaging/app_build.rb
and it comes to me very handy because i was trying to learn how to build
univeral binaries for clam applications.

at the same time, i want to build ardour2 for macosx and set up
linux and macosx testfarm clients for ardour2 like we do in clam
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/testfarm/

in a nutshell: clients listen the svn for new commits, run automatic tests
and if everything is ok upload packages to the web. it proved very useful
for finding regressions on platforms different from the one used by the
commiter, and delivering fresh development packages to be tested on
(almost) each commit.

so this is my first question on osx building: how do you compile libs and
apps for both intel and ppc architectures?

i see that you do put together binaries from lib_powerpc/ and lib_i386/
with lipo. but i can't find how binaries get produced there.
i assume you are using darwinports libraries. is it possible to build two
different versions of each library? (and does g++ allow crosscompiling,
after all?)

btw, in clam instead of having a separate script we are writing a project-
independent "dmg sconstools" for better integration with scons. we'll
report back when it is more mature.

thanks and greetings from barcelona!
  pau

believed to be clean.