[ardour-dev] Google summer of code 2006

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun Apr 23 16:11:56 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 14:54 +0200, merwan at altern.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a french student in computer science (master degree), and I've read
> that Ardour has been accepted into Google’s Summer of Code 2006 (SOC). I
> tried Ardour a few months ago and thought that it lacked midi tracks. I'd
> like to participate in the development of midi tracks in Ardour as a SOC
> project but I'm not sure I have the skills to do that. So, I'd like to
> have your views about two things :
> What is your estimated difficulty for this project ?
> What would you expect to be done by the end of the project ?

I've looked in to it somewhat..

I think the realistic goal would be to have MIDI recording and playback,
but with no editing in the GUI or anything (ie just displaying an empty
region box).  You may also need to do some minor work with Jack MIDI if
you encounter problems there.

It's doable, but whoever does it is definitely going to have to put in
full time to get it done within the SoC timeframe.

I'm equally okay with working on a fully featured OSC control interface
if you really want to take on MIDI support.  As long as you get it
working that is :)

-DR-