[ardour-dev] Proposed editing mode, for users with heavy editing needs

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Wed Oct 19 12:29:42 PDT 2005

On 10/19/05, vanDongen/Gilcher <gml at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 October 2005 04:15, AES_24_96 wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > I selected zoom focus to "edit cursor" and it still just jumps off and goes
> > where it wants, though I have placed an edit cursor down. What am I doing
> > wrong?
> >

> If I understand correctly, you set the zoom focus to edit-cursor and are
> zoom-mode. The mouse wheel zooms, but doesn't focus on the edit cursor.
> If that is the case it is a bug. It sounds like it. Please sign on to mantis,
> the ardour bug tracking system en report it.

OK, through discussion on IRC I think I'm the only person that
understands Aaron's issue here.  What Aaron is doing is always using
the Ctrl-mousewheel to zoom (in object mode).  Its behavior
intentionally always keeps the audio under the mouse cursor
(irregardless of zoom focus) as it zooms in.  That part is not a bug.
However, when zooming out in this way, it tries to keep the audio
underneath the cursor but fails to do so when zooming out far enough
that the session's 0 time hits the left edge and the focused audio is
no longer under the mouse.  This is an unfortunate side affect of this
specific mouse-focus-zoom-wheel feature and makes this zoom style
unusable for Aaron.

However, what Aaron is used to is simply doing "normal" zooming with
the wheel where it always centers on the playhead/edit cursor.  This
exact behavior is accomplished in ardour today when in zoom mode, or
when using the keybindings for zoom in/out (- and =).  All Aaron wants
is for the mouse wheel to be used doing "normal" zooming while in
object mode (and i think he'd even prefer it without any keyboard
modifiers).

Just wanted to clear up this minor but subtle issue.  To make it more
complicated the "normal" zooming has a tendency to flake out on
occasional zoom actions (legitimate bug) but is usually ok when you
try it again.

jlc