[ardour-dev] Adding audio buses breaks alignment

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:09:26 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Per Sigmond <per at sigmond.no> wrote:
>
> > Q 1: Is it intentional that capture inputs are automatically connected to
> > *buses* as well as to tracks? (shouldn't think so, a bug perhaps...)
>
> I recently noticed this, and commented to myself and paul that in most
> cases this makes little sense.  It should be a user option, defaulting
> to not autoconnect capture inputs to buses.

Hear hear! I think this has had, in the past anyway, another
unintended effect. When autoconnect is turned on I've been far more
likely to get error messages when creating new tracks, being told that
Ardour cannot connect to so and so. I think the reasoning for the
error has been running out of ports although I've seldom really proved
to myself that this was true. (It may well have been, I just couldn't
prove it.)

Anyway, I'd really support that autoconnect be turned off by default.

I'd even support that it was not done on track outputs either. While I
understand that in simple sessions it's nice to get audio right away
but it seems that none of my sessions are simple anymore and it only
causes me more work. If new users had to hook up a track to get audio
it would force them to learn more or use a template, both of which are
good things.

Thanks,
Mark