Fwd: [ardour-dev] Adding audio buses breaks alignment

Per Sigmond per at sigmond.no
Thu Oct 6 16:06:59 PDT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 00:16, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Good question, the latency compensation code appears to be considering
> the input latency in a way it shouldn't.  Then again, it could just be
> a consequence of the fact that latency compensation can't work
> properly on buses.

Speaking of latency compensation; when syncing e.g. a midi sequencer (slave)
to ardour (master), the MTC time seems not to be delayed along with the audio
latency. Consequently the ardour sound comes out "too late" compared to the
MTC time sent (in my present setting 90 msec), and the boxes appear not to be
in sync. The MTC time sent should of course be delayed by the same amount as
the audio to reflect the sound that is heard. For ardour as MTC slave the
same thing happens of course (the ardour audio comes out "too late" in
relation to the MTC time).

Question: what is the authoritative internal delay/latency method/variable by
which everything is compensated (so I can make a patch for compensating by
the same amount in the MTC code)?

Best regards,
Per.
--