[ardour-dev] Adding audio buses breaks alignment

Per Sigmond per at sigmond.no
Thu Oct 6 14:59:05 PDT 2005

Hi.

Try this (on a session that automatically connects inputs to tracks):
- Set latency to something really long (4096/2, about 90 msec) so you can hear
the "unaligned" effect
- Add an audiobus
- Activate click
- Press play
- Press stop
- Press play
...and the click is no longer in time...
- Edit the input of the audiobus and remove the capture inputs (why are they
there in the first place?)
- Press play
- Press stop
- Press play
...and the click is in time again

The worst thing about this isn't that the click is not aligned, but that none
of your recordings will be aligned!
I've been struggling with recording alignment for weeks, but didn't realise it
was broken until I set a really long latency :-( At least now I know why it
was so hard to make those guys play in time, they always seemed to lag behind
a little bit.... ;-)

Q 1: Is it intentional that capture inputs are automatically connected to
*buses* as well as to tracks? (shouldn't think so, a bug perhaps...)
Q 2: Is it intentional that connecting a capture input to a bus should have
this effect on alignment/timing? (this may be a consequence of how things
works, and may not be a bug :-)

Regards,
Per.
--