[ardour-dev] MTC is unusable

Per Sigmond per at sigmond.no
Thu May 19 01:32:48 PDT 2005

Quoting R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I've tested MTC with both the AW4416 and the DM-24 as
> Master and neither is usable. Both appear to behave
> identically. Ardour reponds to incoming Time Code but
> the playhead comes to a complete stop every few
> seconds. Upon stopping record disables. The stuttering
> behaviour occurs whether Playing or Play+Rec.

Ardour slave will behave like this if incoming MTC messages are missing for 1/4
second, or if there are too many quarter frame dropouts (missing MTC messages)
for ardour to determine the time (the time is composed by 8 consequtive MTC
messages).

> Send MTC, Ardour responds by engaging Play. Stop MTC
> and Ardour continues to roll about three seconds
> before the Playhead stops. Upon stopping the Playhead
> relocates back to the Master stop position.
>
> Question:
> I've got a SMPTE stripe on an AW4416 routed to an
> analog output then into an RS422 (analog) j
> ack on the Tascam DM-24. I have the DM-24 routing the
> RS-422 signal to the MIDI through jack
> which routes to a USB MIDISPORT 8x8 and then to the
> Ardour seq. I assume the Time Code source
>  that reaches Ardour is the SMPTE stripe from the AW.
> Is that possible or is the DM-24 conver
> ting the SMPTE to MTC and outputting that?

Ardour cannot interpret SMPTE (which is time information represented as sound).
It has to be converted to MTC (which is the same information represented as
MIDI messages).

Regards,
Per.

--