[ardour-dev] latency compensation questions

Ross Johnson rpj at callisto.canberra.edu.au
Thu Mar 31 16:07:54 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 18:15 -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Basically, we're talking about reporting latency that comes from
> an untrackable source outside the system (like a hw effects unit).
> The Artificial latency plugin does nothing but report an adjustable
> additional latency to ardour so it can compensate for any external
> latency in your system.   You would just put this plugin right after
> the Insert that routes to the external HW, and set its value.

Someone recently mentioned connection graphs in Ardour but I don't
recall if it was to do with latency calculations. Does Ardour adjust for
latencies at every connection in the system? If not, for which subset of
points are adjustments made?

As an example, if I insert a gate on one track and trigger it from
another track (either/both tracks may be running other plugins as well),
can I expect the gate trigger and gate input to be in sync?