[ardour-dev] Beta 28 MTC tests

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Wed Mar 30 15:02:44 PST 2005

Hi all.  I thought I'd report on my cursory tests with MTC and beta0.28 (the gentoo ebuild)

Well, results were pretty good last night.

The summary is, MTC out from Ardour has that same intermitant jitter that Paul explained is part of the nature of the kernel, and that some devices will be able to deal with and some won't.  The major device that I wanted to deal with it last night was a Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer.  It doesn't.  That machine needs a solid signal or it won't do its automation.  This isn't suprising.

Ardour seemed to be doing real well, though, slaving to MTC.  The only other device I have that spits MTC out is my Emu Darwin, so I had Ardour try to slave to that, and it seems to be working nicely.

I am able to slave the mixer to the Darwin as well, and also I can slave Cakewalk to the Darwin, so Ardour beta0.28 seems to be fitting in that setup nicely on first glance.

It also seemed to be sending and receiving MIDI Machine Control well.

These are cursory tests, I just hooked'er up to see if she would go.  I'll do some actual work and report on whether tracks from Cakewalk are really in sync and that kind of thing and report what I find.

All in all, it's looking up :)

Aaron Trumm
www.nquit.com