[ardour-dev] scons build available for testing

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Mar 21 08:50:49 PST 2005

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:

> Humm...how does 'make install --prefix=' relate to './configure
> --prefix='? I'm certain that I've used the latter when I've built
> Ardour by hand. Is placing Ardour where I want it no longer supported
> at all under SCons at all? If not, then I need to change paths?

The ./configure option determines where ardour actually runs.

The `make install' option provides a way for packagers to temporarily
install the program in a different filesystem location.  The scons
equivalent is DESTDIR=/some/package/directory.

> Not advocating any changes. Just trying to understand so the next time
> I do build I don't get burned too badly.

You probably don't need this.  Normally, you compile on the same
system where you will be running ardour and install it in the expected
location.  All you need for that is `./configure --prefix=/usr', or
`scons PREFIX=/usr'.
--
  joq