[ardour-dev] Send Delay

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sun Mar 20 17:55:11 PST 2005

Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan at starband.net> writes:
> Is Jamin available as a plug in now?

No.

What does work is routing the master output bus to JAMin, then writing
its output back to another (stereo) track.

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:
> it does, but only for plugins that declare latency. for LADSPA, that
> means they use an ad-hoc convention that myself and swh dreamt up, but
> i think tom szilyagi follows as well, of providing a control output
> port called "latency" that provides the current value. for VST
> plugins, ardour uses the value returned by getInitialDelay().

>>it does, it certainly doesn't adjust for external apps or external
>>physical reverbs, compressors, etc.

> ardour will attempt to compensate for the latency inherent in the
> signal routing, but it cannot compensate for latency hidden by the
> destination (in this case, within Jamin)

JAMin does declare its output latency, though I am not sure it works
correctly.  I'm not even sure what total latency JACK reports, given
the likelyhood of there being multiple JAMin output paths.

There is an extra cycle delay when wrapping its output back to another
ardour track (as described above) due to introducing a "loop" in the
process graph.  AFAICT, no one accounts for that extra cycle of
latency.  JAMin doesn't even know about it.
--
  joq