[ardour-dev] Ardour session backup files

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:41:31 PST 2005

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:32:06 -0500, Paul Davis
<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> >   In the more recent versions of Pro Tools DigiDesign has created a
> >new directory called 'Session File Backups'. This directory resides
> >parallel to the Audio directory inside of the main session directory.
> >The directory includes a copy of the original session file that is
> >copied every time I open a PT session. For an orchestral piece I'm
> >working on to demo LinuxSampler I run from
>
> We allow you to manually create these using a snapshot.

Understood.

> Note however that if there is a problem in ardour at time T that
> causes it to write a problematic session file, this problem will
> likely apply to any session file it writes, including a snapshot.

In the case where some work is done (I.e. -  adding plugins or
changing I/O's or anything that would cause this sort of a problem)
then invariably the user will not have made a snapshot by hand. That
said, if Ardour opened yesterday but doesn't open today then the user
is panicing, possibly under schedule pressure, and any bone you can
throw him will be warmly received.

> Off the top of my head, I don't recall any problems with session files
> that were related to the file contents being corrupted.

I may be incorrect in my reading of the problem but I think there was
one reported recently on Ardour-User. That said it's not happened to
me, that I know of, but there ave been times where I certainly wished
I had a backup just because the current file gets hopeless hosed
through my own stupidity, etc. ;-)

> There have
> been issues with the program changing and no longer allowing certain
> configurations that were present in the session file.

My biggest reason for not purchasing hardware for Ardour specifically.
That and MIDI support.

> There have also
> been issues with loading sessions that exercised certain elements of
> Ardour (e.g. large session loading), but these were fixed without any
> modification to the session files.
>
> However, there is nothing particularly difficult or unpleasant about
> the idea of creating a new "automatic snapshot" every time we open a
> session. It would be wise to file this as a Mantis feature request.

Will do. Thanks for considering it whenever the time is appropriate..

Cheers,
Mark