[ardour-dev] Ardour session backup files

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 9 16:32:06 PST 2005

>   In the more recent versions of Pro Tools DigiDesign has created a
>new directory called 'Session File Backups'. This directory resides
>parallel to the Audio directory inside of the main session directory.
>The directory includes a copy of the original session file that is
>copied every time I open a PT session. For an orchestral piece I'm
>working on to demo LinuxSampler I run from

We allow you to manually create these using a snapshot.

Note however that if there is a problem in ardour at time T that
causes it to write a problematic session file, this problem will
likely apply to any session file it writes, including a snapshot.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall any problems with session files
that were related to the file contents being corrupted. There have
been issues with the program changing and no longer allowing certain
configurations that were present in the session file. There have also
been issues with loading sessions that exercised certain elements of
Ardour (e.g. large session loading), but these were fixed without any
modification to the session files.

However, there is nothing particularly difficult or unpleasant about
the idea of creating a new "automatic snapshot" every time we open a
session. It would be wise to file this as a Mantis feature request.

regards,
--p