[ardour-dev] CVS commit

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 6 01:33:03 PST 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:16:34 -0500, Christopher K. George <ckg at YaleSDA.org>
wrote:

> Is there a way to tweak the normalize gain manually?

short answer no, not at the moment.
longer answer:

There are 5 different layers operating on  gain in ardour at the moment:

1)the normalization gain
2)the region gain envelope

3)the fade-ins and fade -outs

4)the crossfades

and finally
5)the track/bus gain stage

plus of course any plugins you might want to add to that.

Since 2-5 all can bring down the level, but have a limited "boost" range,
a sound that is too loud is less of a problem than a sound that is too
soft.

For the case where a normalized region is too loud I would adjust the
region gain envelope.
Or use the gain automation in the track/bus
Or use a compressor plugin
Depending on the situation.

A couple of useful features that I would like too see eventually are
-group-normalize
-an  indication of the normalization gain plus settable target in the
popup region-editor.

These will probably not appear untill we are at ardour V2.

Gerard