[ardour-dev] plugin presets

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 01:51:03 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:35:22 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 16:07, Steve Harris wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:43:59 +0200, fons adriaensen wrote:
> > > Because the standardized thing is bloated, unreadable, uneditable, and
> > > does not add anything useful. I'd gladly accept something standardized,
> > > if only it would makes sense.
> >
> > "Sense" is a matter of opinion and perspective.
> >

> Sorry, Steve, I have to agree with Fons and Paul ("i don't like this
> syntax, its grotesque and ugly and complex").  I understand that it has
> a lot of good points in its favor though.  Is there any chance that you
> could throw together some sort of user-friendly, GUI editor for this
> file?  I don't think that it necessarily has to be part of Ardour.  A
> separate, stand-alone utility would be handy.  I'd be glad to help but I
> just don't understand the format/library.

I'm not defending the syntax, I agree, its vile*. But to some extent its a
neccesary evil to get the guarantees and features you get from RDF.
Wether its a price thats woth paying, only history will tell, but my bet
is that it is.

I could knock up an app to do that, but I have very limited development
time at the moment (0 hours / week currently) and I'm not sure its the
best use of my time. Though, liblrdf contains some code to handle those
description IIRC, so making a command ling thing should be pretty easy.

* though thats partly because it machine generated, it can be pretty easy
to read is its serialised carefully. for e.g. most machine generated shell
scripts are pretty horrible.

- Steve