[ardour-dev] Fwd: [ardour-users] scripting region placement and import

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Jan 17 08:12:59 PST 2005

Am 17. Januar 2005, 10:42 Uhr (-0500) schrieb Paul Davis:
> you have the file format in front of you :)
>
> its just XML. if you get the XML wrong, then libxml++ can't read
> it. if you miss out any important fields, ardour can't handle what
> libxml++ returns. other than that, it should be easy. what errors are
> you seeing?

o.k. I found the error. One of the selected regions had some
unreadable format. Ardour reported the error, but displayed the region
name in the region list. After I had opened the file, resaved it and
tried to open it again, ardour reported the missing file (it was not
copied to the "sounds" subdirectory of the session due to the error)
and failed to open the session.

2 more questions:

 - Something strange happens to the region list: After editing the
   file (even if I didn't make any changes), ardour seems to add a
   copy of all regions in the region list. Is this expected behaviour?
   I now have 5 entries of each region in the region list without
   having modified anything.

 - If I want to generate/modify the xml file: Can I assign any 32bit
   integer id to the regions etc. (granted that they are unique) or do
   they have to follow a special rule?

--
Orm

BTW: Paul, I'm in the middle of purchasing all the hardware and
reconstructing the studios but am still determined to use ardour with
my students. It's probably taking a couple of more months until I will
have decent working conditions to get into it. Sorry for the delay,
but as always it's much more work than expected...