[ardour-dev] Fwd: Re: [ardour-users] Invalid filename

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 21:51:11 PST 2005

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:47:02 -0500, Paul Davis
<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> >I guess I'm not clear why this has to be a problem. Why does Ardour
> >need to put this character in file names? What's the purpose?
>
> mark, i am suprised - you more than anyone should know this, since it
> was your observations that led to it being added. its there to provide
> a clear separator between the filename per se and the "L" and "R"
> identifiers that ardour adds when importing the file or creating new
> capture files. if someone names their mono track FILL, we get FILL.wav
> which could potentially be confused with FILL.wav, the sister of
> FILR.wav. So we add a character.
>
> I'll switch to % ...
>
> --p

Paul,
   Yes, I understand that must have come from that set of
conversations, but somehow something got lost in the translation. I
didn't understand the purpose of the '?' until you explained it here.
We had conversations about how Pro Tools named files. What I thought I
had related was that Pro Tools does this:

Fill1.L.wav
Fill1.R.wav

Two periods in the file name. No special characters. The File name is
whatever is before the first period and the file type is whatever is
after the second period.

   Clearly I didn't explain this or else something was lost in the
translation. However, this works under both XP and Linux.

- Mark